Friday, December 9, 2016

Out With The Old, In With The New: Master Bedroom Updates

The year is coming to a close, and while most say this time is usually the busiest, Eric and I have miraculously found ourselves with a couple of weekends where NOTHING is going on. 

I know...it's nuts. 

Well I shouldn't say nothing. Eric usually has basketball practice to go to, or maybe a game, but the bottom line is we don't have to leave town! We get to stay in Cincy! ALL WEEKEND! 

On average, my productivity Monday - Friday is equal to none. Maybe a load of laundry gets done and folded...maybe. So I cherish these weekends at home, and treat them like mini staycations. Except instead of relaxing and drinking all day, we make giant to-do lists, and conquer the world! 

OK yes, there is some drinking.

Recently, our main focus has been in the bedroom. After a rather vicious slamming of the door, our fan decided it no longer wanted to be attached to the ceiling. Considering I've never been a fan of the fan (ha!) I was all too eager for it's removal.  
As it's replacement, we decided to go with the Merwry 52 in. LED White Fan from Home Depot. I love it's modern lines, frosted glass shade, and it even comes with a remote control so you don't have to get up to switch off the light! 
Soooooo much better. 

A second change in the bedroom is, in my opinion, pretty spectacular. For the first time since we've been married, we FINALLY HAVE A HEADBOARD ATTACHED TO OUR BED!!! The nights of leaning against walls, or crushing the blinds behind pillows while trying to read is over! 
I have HATED not having a headboard. Ask Eric, he's heard me complain a million times. Something about my pillows touching our windows and blinds completely drove me nuts.

BUT NO MORE! 

This little beauty jumped out at me during my routine Craigslist troll, and a few days later it was ours. The wood was OK, but our bed frame is black, so I figured they should match. A bit of sanding, primer, and leftover paint from our Mini-Awkward-Bathroom, and voila! New headboard.
Since our bed is a California king, and the headboard sized for a standard king, the install was a bit tricky. But Eric's ingenuity prevailed once more, and he was able to attach it securely to our custom bed frame
Is it silly to get this pumped up about a headboard? Absolutely. Do I care? Hell no.

You may also notice an update to the blinds I previously mentioned crushing with pillows. These were the only windows in the house without white blinds, and since Eric was in a we're-getting-this-ALL-done-so-help-me mentality, we swapped them.
Our room is much brighter now, and the white doesn't show NEARLY as much dust as the brown, so that's always a win.

Overall, this space has really come a long way. It's not "done" of course, I'd still like to update our dressers, paint the closets, plus now I'm questioning the curtains. Is there too much white there? Should I replace them for something fun with a bit of pattern? Questions for another day. 

For now I'll settle with this satisfying side-by-side. 
Or how about this one from our original house tour back in 2013! 
BEFORE AND AFTERS ARE LIFE!!!!!! 

We also made some sweet progress decluttering the office. That room was/is a complete disaster, and typically gives me anxiety whenever I look around. At least now it's more of an organized disaster. Oh well..TILL NEXT TIME! 

Check out all of our home improvements, by visiting the OUR NEST page. 


No comments: