Friday, February 20, 2015

Staircase Makeover Final(ish) Reveal

Ding dong the carpets gone! 
We've been STAIRing at this unpleasant runner for over a year and a half now, and it is morally, ethic'lly, spiritually, physically, positively, absolutely, undeniably, and reliably dead removed! 

Here's what we've been living with: 
After contemplating a few different styles (discussed in this post) we decided on the geometric grey pattern! 
And with snow storms and subzero temps providing a week off school, we my outright MAGNIFICENT husband, got to work! 

First step was removing the old carpet. Using a few types of pliers and a hammer, Eric was able to rip up the existing rug and pry out all of the staples. 

Having the stairs exposed and bare was already a HUGE improvement. If the condition of the wooden floor wasn't so terrible, not to mention super slippery while wearing socks, I would have considered just painting the risers white and calling it a day.
Knowing only a few inches of riser would be visible with the new rug, we didn't want to waste paint (and time) by covering the whole area. Instead we just focused on the four inches or so on either side, and after two coats we were set.
Since the old rug was attached to the stairs via staples, we reckoned that was the best strategy to install the new rug as well. To make this process easier, we purchased an electric staple gun. We also picked up carpet tape and placed a few strips on each tread, just to be certain the rug wouldn't budge. 
To camouflage the staples, the tops were painted a beige/grey color we had on hand before loading them into the gun. Once stapled into the stairs, Eric gave each of them a few hits with a hammer to make sure nothing stuck up. He also measured the distance from both edges on each step so things stayed consistent, and the rug remained centered the entire way down.
Now you may notice in the picture on the right, the last few steps have yet to be covered. Well there's a reason for that, and it isn't because Eric had to stop and play Grand Theft Auto with his buddies. 
Turns out the two rugs we ordered aren't equal in AT ALL. Our second rug is actually a good inch WIDER than our first rug. Not cool Overstock, NOT COOL! 
So that's why this is the "Final(ish) Reveal" post, and not the "Let's hear the choir sing OMG we're DONE!" post. Our plan of attack is to email the company, explain our dilemma, and back up our claim with pictures. Meanwhile I'm going to brainstorm how to make the transition between rugs look as seamless as possible, and focus my attention to the 3/4 portion that IS complete. 
Compared to where we started, I'm still THRILLED with how things are looking. 
When real-life results shatter your plans and expectations for the better, life is good. :)

Instead of calling the company who made the rug and going off on a wild rant...Eric found an alternative solution. He ripped up the rug up one step, then stretched it as much as he could, so the two pieces met as flush as possible. I personally think he did a tremendous job, and the seam is hardly noticeable.
Bottom line, it looks a MILLION times better than it did before. Bravo sir, bravo, you are the stair master! 

No comments: