Thursday, October 3, 2013

Getting Festive for Fall

This quote perfectly sums up how I feel about Fall. 
I've always been more of a "cool weather" kind of girl. When everyone else was craving shorts and swim suits, I was usually more comfortable in jeans and a sweatshirt. Honestly, I think it was because of my body image. I mean who wants to show off tons of skin when they're not proud about how they look? This past summer though, I actually really enjoyed the warm weather and the chance to wear sun dresses everyday. 
(Wooo progress!!) 
But true to myself  Fall is my FAVORITE time of the year. Everything becomes crisp, and the trees are ablaze with spectacular colors of red, gold, amber, and orange. 

This is the first year that I had a nice big space to decorate for this wonderful season. Last year I bought accidentally stole (little mishap with the self-checkout at Kroger) two small pumpkins  and decorated them the best I could in our little apartment. 
Cute right? :) 
So THIS year I was uber stoked to get normal sized pumpkins and go to town! 
We had an extra hay bail from seeding our yard that Eric brought to the front for me, then I arranged the pumpkins and mums we got until I was satisfied. Then I drug my chalkboard menu window out of our hallway (where it has been since move-in day) and drew some festive fall pictures on it. 
This was made from a shutter I bought from Building Value for $4. I attached some fake flowers I had in a vase to it with some wire, then tied scraps of burlap that was leftover from my Christmas wreath project (featured HERE, and the tutorial to make your own is HERE!). 
All together now!
YEAH FALL! 
Even my paint swatches go with the color scheme :) 

I have to tell you though, last night I could hardly sleep. I had visions of waking up and everything being stolen. My pumpkins smashed in the road, and my shutter and window long gone. I know we live in an "OK" neighborhood, but you just never know. 
Well low and behold, one of the pumpkins was missing this morning. Luckily it wasn't smashed, just brought all the way down the block and plopped down in someones yard. 
Idiot hooligans.

I brought everything except the hay, flowers, and my window inside before I left for work today. So hopefully it's all still sitting there when I get home. 

Have you decorated your house for Fall? Are you more of a seasonal decorator, or a Halloween decorator? I'm not one for scary stuff, so I like to keep it charming and hopefully leave it out through Thanksgiving. 

That is if my pumpkins survive...

No comments: